- Autumn is a fantastic season in a country where the words 'grey skies' and 'drizzle' mean not a jot.
- Krispy Kreme is as dangerous as crack.
- The deaths of Michael Jackson and Stephen Gately are not - I repeat, not - comparable.
- The crescendo of strings at 5:56 in Noah and The Whale's First Days of Spring is as exciting a moment in music as any other.
- Beef is good.
- Missing friends and family members is not a sharp, impossible-to-ignore pain but more a dull, never-ending ache.
- The England national team, like Manchester City, will find a way of fucking up every opportunity that is put in front of them.
- Had Barack Obama been white he would not have won the Nobel Peace Prize but, if he had been white and had won the prize, nobody would have said a word about it.
- I want a puppy.
- I am becoming dangerously blase about suicide bombs and the deaths of soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan - proof positive perhaps that apathy will be the friend of the tyrant.
- The death penalty is, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, wrong.
- The love of a good woman can make everything else seem rather meaningless.
- Learning new languages is actually rather exciting.
- I don't look good in purple.
- You get what you pay for with W5,000 watches.
- Hidden geeky-ness is very attractive.
- I want a pair of 1980's original tortoiseshell RayBan Wayfarers, a gold Rolex and, in fact, the entire wardrobe (and not, I should add, the personality) of Patrick Bateman.
- AstroTurf burns take a long time to heal.
- Don't ask, don't tell could be the most offensive policy towards sexual orientation I have ever heard.
- To be a critic, be it in food, movies, sport or music, it must inherently mean that you spend your life criticising something that you are, in fact, not good enough to do yourself.
- The only bad thing about a good Sunday is the morning that follows.
These are just a few of the convoluted thoughts that have passed through my head this past weekend -
Posted by Smithy at 11.10.09