As well as 3 stints in 2 different supermarkets I have delivered newspapers (for a while anyway, before I started dumping them into some local bushes) served dinner at a hotel (I once spilled soup down a woman's back and then denied it despite being observed doing so by the entire table) and folded shirts in a men's clothes store (under the employ of a sociopath named Rob who readily enjoyed torturing his teenage underlings with a number of disgusting techniques, his favourite being wiping the sweat from behind his balls on your top lip so you could smell nothing else all day). I said that I have kept myself employed. I didn't say that I enjoyed it.
However, for the most part, I have enjoyed my teaching jobs in Korea. I have very little accountability or real responsibility besides keeping the kids entertained. I am able to actual impart a little knowledge onto the little shits, and when that doesn't work we can play hangman. It's fun. This year especially, with my teaching day ending at 1.30pm or earlier, I have been able to take my working life with a pinch of salt, as most of the time it doesn't feel like 'work' at all. But I will say, with all the respect that is due, that the Korean schooling system is stupid.
I am sat in my office at 3.05pm on a Monday afternoon. This is what I have done so far today.
- 08.30 Arrive at school
- 08.30-09.00 Drink coffee, surf the internet
- 09.00-09.25 Realise that the Superbowl is on, take a second to decide whether I care then try to find a decent stream
- 09.25-11.30 Watch the Superbowl, marvel at the number of adverts, vaguely wish I lived in America, become disgusted with the power of consumerism, realise I am a consumerist
- 11.30-11.55 Stare blankly at the computer screen, mindlessly hitting F5, hoping somebody has done something on facebook that I can look at
- 11.55-12.30 Sob softly into my kimchi and rice and try to pretend it's a burger
- 12.30-3.00 Watch House, shivering.
Anyway, I must run. Someone I don't care about has updated their facebook status.
Love, Smithy x